Montag, 18. Mai 2015

PATHS OF HOPE - Look Inside (1)

EXCERPT FROM PATHS OF HOPE, Chapter 1

Fort George, Massachusetts, March 2, 1723

They have come. Unrelenting and merciless – the beat of the military drums sound down to my dungeon deep below. Making my ears ring, every single beat of the drum resounds like a lash of the whip filling me with dread, pain and anticipation. Thinking of what lies ahead I shudder and wish my mind were as empty as this dismal chamber, in which I have been held prisoner for months. If only I could thoughtlessly stare at these damp walls and watch the dripping water drops impress their moist traces on the mossy stone bricks and simply accept my fate. But my human mind will not let me. I know all too well that it cannot take much longer before they come and get me. To make the most of the remaining time, I’m scribbling these lines that may be the last into this book.

Only a few days ago I was still hoping for pardon. Now my destiny has finally been sealed. A cold shiver creeps over my body and heart at the very thought of what will happen should I reach London alive. The question of if it will happen is no longer relevant. It is rather a matter of when, since the end of my life has been decided. They have accused me of high treason and of collaborating with conspirators. The day of my execution is drawing near – July 28, three days before I turn twenty-two.

This very second I feel the bitter smile of foreboding on my face. The barbarous penalty inflicted on people convicted of high treason is no secret. They are hanged, drawn and quartered. Hanging and drawing do not necessarily warrant instant death. Some delinquents may witness the burning of their intestines before their heart stops beating. And London’s executioners are known to be skilled masters of their craft.

Although the thought of my own death makes me tremble, the gnawing sense of uncertainty is greater. I have no idea of what will become of my fellow prisoners I am forced to leave behind today. The very people I love most dearly – my father, Alastair MacDonnell, and my two brothers Willeam and Columban. We’ll probably never see each other again. Nor will I ever be able to feel their reassuring closeness again. This pain is unbearable! May the Almighty protect them in this godforsaken world and spare them my fate. If they are, however, destined to die I ray for their quick and painless deaths. Steps are approaching the chamber door. My time has come…

I placed the pencil between the pages and closed the cloth-bound booklet. In frenzy my fingers hastily tucked at and tied the leather tape that kept the cover and pages together.
A key turned in the lock and it jumped open with a metal click. I let the diary disappear in the bosom of my dress and pushed it so far down towards my hinds, that it was no longer visible. Then I tidied my skirt. Just in time before the heavy wooden door swung open, accompanied by the familiar lamenting squeal sounding even more baleful in the winter morning.
“Gwenyth Mary MacDonnell are you ready?” The gentle sounding voice of the fort’s military surgeon, Adam Grant, inquired behind me.
Of course not, how could I possibly be? Nevertheless, I somehow managed to face him and nod.