Mittwoch, 6. Mai 2015

THE HEART´S DARKNESS - The Look Inside (1)

Extracts from Chapter 1

Glensemais, Massachusetts, September 29, 1722

A smile spread across my face when I discovered Padraig among the trees. I had waited for him for what had seemed like an eternity and had doubted somewhere deep inside me whether he would even still come. Yet, he was finally here, and my worry changed suddenly to anticipation.
Almost silently, he stalked through the sun-flooded brush to our hiding place, a small clearing surrounded by blackberry and blueberry bushes in the middle of the forest. And Padraig had noticed me, too. He gave a quick wave, before he prepared to make a spirited leap over a tree stump that blocked his way.
I put my basket with rosehips and blackberry leaves aside and ran towards him, smiling with joy. Padraig opened his arms to catch me.
“I was afraid you had forgotten me,” I scolded him, feigning severity.
Padraig set me down carefully, as though a careless movement might cause me to break. His reddish-blond hair fluttered in the warm breeze which blew around the trees with their autumn leaves. He merely looked at me tenderly for a while, and then he shook his head.
“No, love, you’re wrong there. No matter what happens, I could never forget you...”
His declaration of love embarrassed me, as it came unexpectedly and was not at all like Padraig’s generally unromantic nature. I sensed that my cheeks were getting hot, and probably also turning red.
“Why do you come so late?” I asked, a little out of curiosity as to why he had been tardy, but primarily as his forthright confession of love had surprised me somewhat, and I wanted to change the subject.
“We were in the fields. We couldn’t have waited much longer with the tilling.” Padraig looked up at the cloudless blue autumn sky. “It is still warm, but in a few days we could have the first frost, and then it gets harder and harder to work the soil.”
I nodded in agreement, as we had also just prepared our fields for the winter.
Padraig took hold of my hands. He carried them to his lips and gently kissed the backs of my hands.
“Now it’s not even four weeks until our wedding,” he said thoughtfully. “Have you thought about what our lives will be like afterward?”
I caressed Padraig’s unshaven cheek with its stubble tenderly.
“Very often, my dear,” I responded softly. “But how else should it be? I will move in with you and your grumpy father, keep house for you, and help you in the field and with the animals and...”
“...and what?”
“And one day have our children, who we will bring up together,” I answered, laughing.
“Does this thought make you happy? I mean, do you really want to live with my bad-tempered father under one roof in the coming years?” Padraig asked seriously.
I looked at him enquiringly, as his behavior had now surprised me for the second time within a short period of time. What did he mean by his question? It was actually the most normal thing in the world that the wife moved in with her husband, and that Padraig’s father lived there too didn’t change anything. Just as little as the fact that he was a grumpy chap whom one could almost never please.
“Do you have perhaps a better plan?” I enquired in irritated tone.
Padraig’s grin was as wide as the Kennebec River after the snow melt in spring.
“And do I ever,” he said in a conspiratorial undertone, while he began to fumble at his shirt. Seconds later he drew a scroll wrapped in leather from out of his breast slit.
“Here.” He pressed the roll into my hand.
“What is that?” I asked, curious.
 “Open it. See for yourself.”
 With feverish fingers, I opened the slender ribbon that held the roll closed and unrolled the leather with a solemn gesture. In disbelief I marveled at the document that appeared from under the cover.
 “That...that is a deed,” I murmured in surprise. “And our names are on it...Padraig, does this mean...?”
 Clearly, I was being too slow-witted for Padraig’s liking, in that moment. He took the deed from me, together with its leather cover.
 “Yes, Gwen, that’s exactly what it means,” he exclaimed in a voice hoarse with excitement. “I have bought some land for us. We will have our own little farm. A home just for us...and our children,” he added hastily.

Enjoy your read. In the next few days you will find more excerpts on this blog. 
If you want to leave a comment your are wellcome, too.